- 1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced black olives, drained
- 1 can (3 ounces) green olives stuffed with pimentos, drained and sliced
- 1/4 cup canned tomato paste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 pounds salmon fillet, with skin
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (oregano and basil)
- non-stick olive oil spray
Mix the olives, tomato paste, olive oil, wine vinegar, lemon juice and water. Set aside; store in the refrigerator if kept longer than 4 hours.
Heat grill to high. Season the flesh side of the salmon with Italian seasoning and spray liberally with olive oil. Spray the rack of the grill with oil and grill the fish flesh-side down until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip with a wide, long-handled spatula and grill until the fish flakes to gentle pressure. Depending on the thickness of the fillet this will take any where from 5 to 10 minutes more. Slip the spatula between the skin and the flesh. Lift the fish onto a cutting board or serving platter; the skin will stick to the grill (it can be scraped off later). Spoon the olive sauce over the salmon and serve.